Women are 10 times more likely to get vaginal infections during pregnancy. It is critical to wash the intimate area twice a day. This is what prompts questions and worries regarding the appropriateness of vaginal cleansers for pregnant women. This is due to the fact that not all feminine cleansers are efficient and safe for vaginal hygiene. Many feminine cleansers include harmful ingredients and preservatives to the vagina.
Is Feminine Wash Safe for Pregnant Women?
According to the Marshfield Clinic Health System, good vaginal hygiene will help in infection prevention throughout pregnancy. Feminine cleansers for pregnant women can be used if the pH level is the same as the vaginal acidity, which is 4.5.
How to Choose a Feminine Soap for Pregnancy
There are several products on the market that promise to keep the feminine area clean. However, you must be cautious and aware of the contents of the feminine soap. Here are some things to consider before using feminine soap during pregnancy:
- Avoid feminine hygiene products containing glycerin, coating oils, fragrances, or parabens for pregnant women.
- Douching is not recommended for pregnant women because it increases bacterial development.
- Using bath soap (normal soap) to clean feminine areas is not suggested for pregnant women.
- Choose a soap for the intimate area that is soft and specifically designed to protect the vagina from discomfort.
- Use feminine soap that has a pH balance around 4.5, and betel leaf content to to maintain healthy skin and keep the freshness every day.
4 Ways to Protect the Vaginal Area During Pregnancy
The vagina not only serves as a natural protective mechanism, but it also plays an important role during pregnancy and childbirth. As a result, it is only natural that we devote special attention to vaginal health. Here are some suggestions for keeping it clean and healthy on the inside and outside:
- Wear pure cotton panties
- Avoid wearing tight clothes
- Avoid wearing shapewear (wearing it may compress your body and put extra pressure on your bladder and uterus)
- Keep your vagina clean and dry
Read more on the importance of using feminine soap
Frequently Asked Questions About Vaginal Hygiene
What causes vaginal odor?
Vaginal odor is normally affected by pH level, or how acidic the vagina is. Some other causes are changes in hormones, poor hygienes, and bacterial vaginosis.
How do I get rid of the odor down there?
You will not be able to totally eliminate the odor from your vagina. It is meant to smell. However, if your vaginal odor is especially strong, you may be able to reduce it with:
- Good hygiene;
- A well-balanced diet; and
- Remaining hydrated.
Can sex cause vaginal odor?
Because sperm and ejaculate have a different pH than the vaginal canal, P-in-V intercourse can create a pH disturbance and produce a brief smell shift. Similarly, most lubricants, coated condoms, and other barriers include compounds that might be unpleasant, resulting in odor alteration.
Is it normal for the vagina to have a smell?
Yes. The natural secretions your vagina produces are meant to have a slight odor. Normal vaginal smells include coppery, musky, meaty, or fleshy scents.
What’s a recommended feminine wash by Nona?
You can try Nona Woman’s organic intimate wash. It has betel leaf (piper betle) as one of its key ingredients to refresh and clean the female area while keeping odor away. Made with natural ingredients, this intimate soap is suitable for sensitive skin. Nona Woman's organic intimate wash is available online at Nona Shop, Tokopedia and Shopee.